Learning how to scale e-commerce businesses might not be a priority, especially if expansion is not in your immediate plans, but it is important to understand to account for future planning. E-commerce scalability refers to the ability to execute operations efficiently, no matter how big or small the volumes of traffic are. Scalability, as well as speed, play major roles in e-commerce sites. And in today’s constantly evolving buying climate, the ability to keep up with changing customer demands is crucial in order to stay ahead of competitors.
The benefits of scalable e-commerce
Our latest report reveals that two-thirds of B2B companies are spending more online now than they did prior to the pandemic. Scalability plays a major role in the success of an e-commerce site and can make or break what is now your most essential sales channel. A clear example of this is the influx of issues experienced by customers after the COVID-19 pandemic stimulated a sudden increase in e-commerce traffic that overloaded backend processes.
Today an overwhelming 94% of B2B buyers experience issues with buying online -– whether that’s delivery and tracking, visibility of product features, payment terms or ease of checkout.
The right scalable e-commerce solution can help achieve long-term goals, as well as provide a positive user experience, the ability to dive deeper into website metrics, the general growth of a business, and an increased focus on your overall e-commerce SEO. Let’s explore each of these benefits a bit more.
One of the most important parts of e-commerce, and business in general, is the user’s experience. When using an e-commerce platform, it is important to provide customers with a positive experience that leaves them wanting more. Not only can this help attract new customers, but it can help retain the customers currently using your site. When visiting a website, customers often look for:
- A search bar allowing them to directly search for specific products;
- A site that is easy to navigate;
- A smooth checkout process;
- An aesthetically pleasing website;
- Clear confirmations and reviews before finalizing a purchase, allowing users to shop with confidence;
- Excellent customer service;
- Fast website loading speed;
- Products and services that satisfy their intent;
- Quick responses to questions, comments, and concerns;
- The option to pay using various methods (credit, debit, e-check, payment installments).
Simply put, scalability allows you to provide these features your customers look for in a sales platform — and is crucial to giving your customers a good experience.
Another benefit of choosing a truly scalable e-commerce platform is access to more in-depth reports on your website’s performance. It is critical to track your e-commerce metrics because it helps you decide if there’s really a relationship between your decisions and your results. Analyzing and understanding the metrics listed below is beneficial because it allows you as a business owner to see what areas of your business are doing well and what needs improvement — like finding news to increase your e-commerce revenue or learning how to respond to negative customer reviews. Metrics that scalable e-commerce platforms can analyze include, but aren’t limited to:
- Average order total;
- Bounceback rates;
- Customer satisfaction survey completion rates;
- Email opt-ins;
- Shopping cart abandonment rate;
It is important to pay close attention to these measurable areas, no matter the size of your business
Integrations with other processes
Integrating e-commerce platforms with other processes, platforms, and products is a fairly simple step that creates a large impact on your pre-existing solution. These processes, platforms, and products include but aren’t limited to:
- Accounting software;
- Communication platforms;
- Human resource (HR) programs;
- Inventory management.
As your business grows, it is important to implement different solutions to help keep track of internal growth. Doing so alongside a scalable e-commerce platform can also help you stay current with industry trends, fulfill orders, keep up with supply demands, and more.
A successful company will naturally grow as long as they are able to handle larger volumes of traffic and sales with the same level of efficiency as before. This can be done by implementing the right scalable e-commerce solution. It takes effort, time, and a willingness to confront and overcome the challenges of e-commerce — but it’s worth it.
Prior to finalizing an e-commerce solution, keep in mind that not all solutions are made equally. When searching for one that you wish to implement, it is important to take into consideration what it is you need that will allow the business to grow and succeed. This includes deciding whether you want the e-commerce solution that is easiest to navigate or the one that primarily focuses on a high level of functional customer service. No matter your business needs, there is a scalable e-commerce solution available.
Must-have features for businesses planning to scale
All too often, e-commerce platforms are built purely with current capacity and technology in mind. While this might ensure you have a fantastic web store now, such an approach creates difficulties further down the road when your business has grown and your customers expect more, better, and faster functionality.
That’s where Sana Commerce comes in. Our ERP-integrated e-commerce solution is fully scalable, ensuring your web store can dynamically grow (or shrink) depending on the needs of the market, without requiring fundamental changes in design and architecture. Here are a couple of ways we’re able to facilitate a scalable web store:
- Reliable performance for high order volumes: scale reliably by optimizing to either support high order volumes per day or orders with many order lines.
- Peak traffic management: When your web store receives a high volume of visitors, performance can be scaled vertically with more hardware or horizontally with additional software. In both cases, a Sana Commerce web store ensures seamless functionality.
- Load balancing: Sana Commerce web stores ensure optimal use of your servers, guaranteeing a reliable, speedy experience your customers will love while shopping your online store. Not only does our technology distribute workload efficiently across multiple services, it also monitors server performance so your clients purchase experience is never compromised.
- Lazy loading: Delay image loading (content + product images) on longer web pages for faster page loading.
- Juggling multiple stores and brands: With Sana Commerce, you can easily create separate websites with a single installation, to suit any kind of back office structure.
- Support for multiple regions: A scalable web store allows you to manage multiple regions in one place. With Sana Commerce, manage all your products within your ERP, no matter where you’re selling.
How do you compare with the competition?
The only way to stay ahead is to stay on top of the constantly changing world of e-commerce. Learn more in our 2023 Trends Report.